Thursday, July 26, 2007

Oyster Bar

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Pre-dinner with dad

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is one of my all-time favorites. My dad and I often sit at the bar for a dozen oysters or cherrystone clams and wine before going out to dinner in Midtown. Which is exactly what we did on the way back from getting me at JFK from Spain.

The Oyster Bar sits on the ramp between the main hall and dining area downstairs. Inside there is a dining room on the left, a small bar straight ahead, a bar/quick eating area on the right, and a saloon in the back room.

They have an amazing selection of oysters, though unusually they were out of Belons (very good). We had one each of Blue Point and Fanny Bay, and then filled out the dozen with cherrystone clams. The Oyster Bay consistently has the biggest cherrystone clams I have ever seen, almost can't eat them in one slurp. They also give you vinegar-ginger dip and a cocktail sauce that you can add Tabasco and horse radish to taste.

In general, they have great seafood--simply grilled or cooked fish of every kind and also an amazing New England clam chowder. I used to go for a dinner of the chowder and dozen oysters/clams when I lived in NY :)

Grand Central Station, New York, NY 10017
(212) 490-6650

No comments: