Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sushi Samba

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Dinner with dad

I made a Restaurant Week reservation for Sushi Samba for dinner on my way home from JFK after my Spain trip. We were super early at 5:30pm, especially by NY standards, but the place was half full by the end of dinner.

We started with drinks and edamame, their mojitos are very good and pricey, then went with the Restaurant Week $35 price fixe option. I had a great seared Kobe beef and mushroom appetizer with a ponzu sauce, and my dad's tuna tataki was good as well. His rockfish a la plancha was pretty good though miniscule, but I found the sushi disappointing. The mochi ice cream desserts were tasty.

We both thought the restaurant was trying a little too much... A Japanese/Brazilian/Peruvian fusion restaurant, they have an incredibly large number of staff dressed in black that come by the table to empty your bowl of edamade shells every few minutes. I had been there a few years ago for a going away party for drinks and snacks. Probably best bet to go for drinks and a few bites. Overall, great drinks and overpriced tiny dishes.

245 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10003
(212) 475-9377

No comments: